Blackberry Whiskey Smash
This recipe makes 4 servings, but you need to make the Blackberry Simple Syrup first. Don’t worry, it’s not hard!
FOR THE BLACKBERRY SIMPLE SYRUP:
- 12 oz. fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water (optional, see recipe notes)
FOR THE BLACKBERRY WHISKEY SMASH:
- 1 cup whiskey
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup blackberry simple syrup (recipe above)
- 1 cup tonic water or sparkling wine (optional, see recipe notes)
TO MAKE THE BLACKBERRY SIMPLE SYRUP:
- Put the blackberries, sugar, and water (if you’re using it, see recipe notes) in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook for 15-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until blackberries have softened and you have a thick syrup.
- Strain syrup through a mesh sieve to separate any seeds or lumps from the syrup. You can discard the leftover pulp, although I like to freeze it in ice cube trays and pop a cube or two in smoothies.
- Let syrup cool on the counter for 20 minutes or so before you make the drinks.
TO MAKE THE BLACKBERRY WHISKEY SMASH
- Combine all ingredients in a large shaker and add a handful or two of ice cubes. Depending on the size of your shaker, you may have to shake the drinks in two batches.
- Shake to combine and chill drinks.
- Pour over ice into glasses. Top each drink with a splash of tonic water or sparkling wine (optional) and serve immediately.
If you have especially juicy, height-of-the-season blackberries, you may not need to add water to your simple syrup. If you’re using frozen or out-of-season blackberries, or if you just want to cut the sweetness of the syrup a bit, add 1/2 cup of water when you make your blackberry syrup.